Friday, May 30, 2008

Striped Grey Afghan


Hi! I finished this blanket up yesterday, and wanted to post a picture of it here. I made it for Sweet Dream Blankies charity, that I started, to make blankets for kids as they go into the foster care system. You can read about it more, by going here. It's made based on a seed stitch type idea, only I used double crochets instead of singles, and 2 in each space, instead of a chain. It was based on an afghan that used a seed stitch, but I didn't want an afghan that was THAT thermally warm, but something that was nice anyway. The length was good, at about 48", but the width was a little smallish, at about 30". If I hadn't run out of yarns, I would have made it a little wider. It's made with 2 strands of yarn held together. I used about 3 1/2 skeins of Red Heart Super Saver in grey (that's about 25 oz. or so) and not more than 4 oz. of any of the solids, maybe a little less. But then again, I would suggest putting one more row of color in, to make it a good width. With one more band of color, it would take a full 4 skeins of grey, and just one more color.


Here's the pattern:


With an N hook, chain 85 loosly


Row 1: sk first chain, sc in next chain, ch 1, sc in next chain, across turn


Row 2: ch 3, sk first sc, in first chain of row 1 make 2 dc. sk next sc, 2 dc in next chain space, across. In last sc, do 1 dc. turn (at end of each row, turn)


Row 3: ch 3, 2 dc in space between last 1 dc, and 2 dc cluster. 2 dc in each space made between each 2 dc cluster from row 2. At end of row, 1 dc in last dc.


Row 4: Repeat row 3 for as many rows as desired width.


Last row: ch 1, sc in first dc, ch 1, sk 1 dc, across, to mirror the first row


Boarder:

I simply did a round of dc evenly spaced all the way around, with [dc, ch 2, dc] in the corners, with the main color, grey.


Here's my stripe pattern, but feel free to use whatever pattern you would like:

1-5: Grey (5 rows)

6-7: Yellow (2 rows)

8-11: Grey (4 rows)

12-13: Orange (2 rows)

14-17: Grey (4 rows)

18-19: Green (2 rows)

20-23: Grey (4 rows)

24-25: Blue (2 rows)

26-30: Grey (5 rows)


Perhaps you could have a row of red, or purple, and make it a rainbow. :)


I would love to see pictures, if anyone makes this up! This pattern has not been tested, so if you find an error (VERY likely) please let me know! Thanks!

No comments: