Saturday, May 17, 2008

Fleece Edging Patterns



Hi! I've decided to publish two edgings for fleece blankets that I've used, in the hopes that others will be able to use this too. The only thing I ask, is that you not try to sell this pattern as your own. It is very simple, but I have not seen it anywhere, so I'm assuming that I'm not breaking any copyright laws.

I use an edgerydoo to get the holes just right, but use whatever you would like, to make holes about 1/2 inch apart. I use a size B hook (or size 5 steel crochet hook, whichever I have on hand) to do the foundation row, so that the tiny hook will go through the holes I made pretty easily. Then, I use anywhere from an H-J hook, depending on the yarn used. My favorite combination, is to use Caron Simply Soft yarn and a size I hook, but just as long as it lies flat, any combination will work. I've also used fingering weight yarn, as well as thicker worsted such as Red Heart acrylic. One 6 oz skein of Caron Simply Soft yarn is enough to do edgings on 3 baby blankets (approx. 30" square), so I guesstimate about 2 oz. of yarn to make one.

Foundation row:
In each hole around, start with one long single crochet. This just means, insert hook in hole, pull up a loop even with the top of the fleece, and continue like a regular sc. It takes a couple times to get the size just right, and the fleece will curl under from time to time, but it'll look just fine. So, after you've done the sc, chain 1 or 2 (depending on how far apart the holes are), then sc in the next hole, all the way around. If 2 chains make it draw up, then try 3. If you're using thin fingering or laceweight yarn, you will need 3 chains, and possibly 4. If you're using a thick worsted weight, you will probably only need 1, possibly 2 chains. Then, join with a sl st to first sc.

Now, depending on what color your fleece is (for girl or boy) pick one of the following:

Girl's edge (the shell edge)
sl st into first chain space, and then ch 3. Make 2 more dc in that space. Then, sc in next chain space. 3 dc in next ch space, sc in next ch space, around. If you are using fingering weight yarn, you may need 4 or 5 dc in each space to make it lie flat. Just play with it a little bit. When I use caron ss yarn, I only need 3 dc to give you an idea. Join to the top chain of the begining chain, and finish off.

Boy's edge (straight edge, also good for neutral whites, greens, yellows, etc. blankets)
sl st into first chain space. Ch 3, dc in same chain space. Then, 2 dc in each chain space around. Another variation, would be to do 1 dc in each ch space, and 1 dc in each sc from the foundation row. I like to just work in the spaces, because I can find it faster, and it looks the same to me really. Join to the top of the begining chain, and finish off! You're done!

These don't take very long at all to do, and I'm thrilled to be able to share this pattern with everyone! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Mommys Online Garage Sale said...

Thank you for describing "Long SC" I had no idea what that meant, lol. A lady that I met while camping turned me on to this project this past weekend. I can't wait for my supplies to get here.