Saturday, May 17, 2008

Pink/Black Shawl


Hi! I just finished this shawl, that I thought I'd never finish! It's not that it was difficult (very very easy actually) but I just kept putting it off. What happened, was that I was doing the boarder, and I ran out of yarn about 6" from the end, and was not looking forward to having to weave in ends just to do a little area. However, I just wanted it done, especially since it's for a good cause, so here it is! It's for another charity at crochetville and I read about it here. Ann is a wonderful woman, and I'm glad that I can help out with this cause. She's asking for scarves, but I thought this shawl would be nice for a teen, so it'll be mailed out to her soon. Plus, she said she'd love it for them too.


In the spirit of giving, since so many people have posted patterns that I've used, I'm going to post the pattern here, although it's really more like guidelines than a pattern. :)


Materials:

approx 10 oz each of 2 colors. I really can't remember for sure, so if you make it, would you let me know?

I used red heart 100% acrylic for this, in black and a rose pink. When the strands are held together, it makes a very fast shawl, and I used a K hook. Pattern will be written to accomidate any combination of hooks, and yarn that you have on hand. This stitch is a box stitch, and there is a link to a much better tutorial on how to do it at the bottom. Be sure to only turn work where mentioned, it's a little different. The piece will look like a triangle for many rows, until it is as wide as you need it, then you work on the length and it will look ilke a rectangle with a triangle piece missing. I know it sounds strange, but just try it! :) I've also made it without the decrease rows, to make it a triangle, then do the edging. Have fun! It works up very quickly...


Directions:

Row 1: Holding two strands together at the same time, chain 6. In 4th chain from hook, dc, and dc in next 2 chains.


Row 2:

ch 6. In 4th chain from hook dc, and dc in each of next 2 chains. Turn work, Sc in ch 3 space left from row 1, ch 2, 3 dc in ch 3 space. Think of walking up stairs as you do this, and it will all make sense...


Row 3:

Ch 6, dc in 4th chain from hook, and in each of next 2 chains. Turn work, sc in first ch space from row 2, ch 2, 3 dc in same space. Continue just as row 2.


Repeat row 3 until piece is a triangle, with the straight edges measuring approx. 20"


Decreasing rows:

This is not tricky, but perhaps hard to explain. But, the idea is that you will keep increasing on one side (what you've been doing so far) and you will decrease on the other side, so that you end up with the same number of little blocks or stairs on each row. This way, you will work until the piece measures aprox. 60" long, which is about right for a shawl. You can make it bigger or smaller for your taste.


How to decrease:

First row of decrease, at the last dc of previous row, turn, and sl across the 3 dc. Ch 3, 3 dc in same chain space, sc in next ch space, ch 2, 3 dc in same space, across. Then, at the end of that row, do it just like the ends of row 3


Row 2 of decrease:

Start this row just like you start row 3's, so that it will get longer on this side. Work across, then at the end of the row, sl into the chain space, turn work, sl in 3 dc from previous row, sl into chain space, ch 3, 3 dc in space, and work across just as before.


When you're finished with the rectangle part, you'll be ready for the edging. You will only be working in the chain spaces, so that will mean every other box area you'll do 6 dc. That's all there is to it! Here's the WONDERFUL tutorial on how to do this stitch, with tons of pictures on how to do it and everything.

Copyright note:

All I ask is that you not sell this poorly written pattern, nor the pattern that it is linked to. You can sell finished items made from this, or whatever you'd like, but just don't sell the pattern. I'm offering it as a gift to anyone who would like it online, and would like it to be kept free. Thank you, and have a great day!

No comments: